Thursday, November 15, 2012

First Snow


There is something charming about the first proper snow of the year. The snow falls gently from the big grey sky, like dandruff falling from scalp. The flakes slowly build on each other until there are piles of white stuff everywhere.

I awoke one morning, and went about my normal routine:  crawl out of bed (literally), shower, get dressed, stare longingly at my bed and resist getting back in it… but as I stepped out of my front door, I hissed.
There were massive amounts of snow on the ground! I ran back inside and dressed myself more appropriately for the arctic tundra.



I eventually I made the trek to campus (500 yards) and went to class. After an hour in my class I geared myself to march back home. As I began my journey, I heard something…

What was it?

Is that… euphoria? 

 


She will get over the snow in three days when it is all crusty and brown. Over the years, her first memory of snow will fade and she will only remember the bitter cold and icy roads.

But her excitement was refreshing. 

I do actually like wearing warm clothes. I bundle myself until I resemble the state puft marshmallow man.
My favorite accessory, I must admit, are my mittens. Mostly because I just think that mittens are really funny. It’s like having a thumb and one big flat finger. I love when people wave at me when they are wearing mittens – I just giggle at them.
My favorite activity to do with my favorite accessory is using my mittened hand as a mitten monorail. I actually always use railings as a monorail – but mittens take the experience to another level.



The one of a kind Mitten Monorail has been incident free for 4 months. Mitten Monorail services is handicap accessible, service animals are welcome, and the driver is subject to blasting music of her choice.






2 comments: