Tuesday, November 6, 2012

In The Beginning.



I have been cartooning since I was very young. When I was in Jr. High, I had this crazy idea that I would be an animator or story board artist for Pixar when I grew up. But reality hit me. First: no one really grows up. Second: I hated being on computers for long periods of time. Third: I am a little snot and I don’t like drawing other people’s artwork.

So I became a studio artist.

I love being a studio artist and love making art that is very much an extension of myself.  I am very passionate about my work.

But my cartoons are the ones that actually get proper praise. So perhaps I chose the wrong career path....

Nah. What would people do without my angsty, dark, twisted, serial-killer-esque art?



As my life has changed so has my cartoon character. She seems to reflect the overall condition of my life at a certain point in time.

    At the end of 2010 we have this Kourtney:
(The “simple” Kourtney)
I had a really rough couple of months. All that mattered to me was sleeping and breathing. So you can see that my cartoons were very simple and for the most part content – focusing on little joys.


    Spring 2011:
(The “cheeky” Kourtney)
Kourtney is still simple for the most part, but she is a bit more cheeky. Things start to exaggerate.

   London, Fall 2011:
(The “I live in London-I’m so cultured” Kourtney)
 Living with 50 girls can really mess with a person. But my cartoons were quite delightful at this time. They became more detailed and the characters had coloured eyes.


   Early spring 2012:
(The “Apathetic” Kourtney)
 Colour became a big part of my drawing whereas it hadn’t really been necessary in the earlier versions. When I returned home from London I had a lot of things I had to deal with and a lot of the cartoons I did at that time were sort of apathetic to everything but small furry animals.



   Spring 2012:
(The “animated” Kourtney)
 Animation style made an appearance. Everything my character did was very exaggerated – but mostly grumpy.


    Summer 2012:
(The “cracked out” Kourtney)
The massive amounts of alone-ness and bitter irony during this time of my life defiantly showed in cartoon Kourtney. 



And it has stayed that way since.

1 comment:

  1. Love the blog! Keep it up! And I learned a lot more about ya :) Miss ya Kourt!

    ReplyDelete